Last week, I had a discussion with our technical team about the problems that our AOL users usually face while using AOL. In an hour of discussion, few issues were highlighted out of which most common issue that AOL users face is in AOL SMTP setting with any third party client like Outlook, Thunderbird, and Incredimail.
Most of our user complains about AOL Imap not working or the AOL Imap settings for outlook. So I decided to pen down the procedure for Aol SMTP setting. Keep reading and find out the procedure for AOL SMTP setup.
How does AOL SMTP Setting work?
AOL gives the flexibility to use a third-party app like Outlook or Thunderbird to send or receive an email. There are two protocols, POP or IMAP that are used to connect the AOL to any third party app. You can choose either of them to connect AOL with your third-party apps like outlook or thunderbird IncrediMail.
How to Decide which Protocol(POP or IMAP) To use for AOL SMTP Setup
Before you select the POP or IMAP, it is highly advisable for you to understand how the POP or IMAP work in AOL SMTP setup.
For a non-technical person, it might be difficult to understand what is a protocol or how does it work. Do not worry, I will decode the technicality in laymen terms.
The protocol acts as a mediator between the two entity which in this case is your account(mail.aol.com) and the app. POP or IMAP both are used to communicate between your account (mail.aol.com ) and the third party app.
The function of POP is to download the copy of your emails from mail.aol.com to the whichever app you are using be it Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone email app, Android Email App or IncrediMail.
So even if you delete your email from your account, you will always have a backup of the downloaded copies of your emails in the app.
An important point to consider is POP downloads email only from your Inbox and not from any personalized folder and this gives an upper hand to IMAP.
If you are using POP and you want to move an email from a personalized folder to your Outlook or Thunderbird, then first move the email from personalized folder to your mail.aol.com inbox
IMAP does the same work as POP, however, IMAP continuously syncs the app and your account(mail.aol.com).
Thus with IMAP, anything that you do on folder or messages in your account at mail.aol.com will reflect on the app. Even the changes made on the third-party app be it Outlook or Thunderbird will be reflected on your AOL account at mail.aol.com
Things To consider before AOL SMTP Setup
- AOL Suggests using IMAP in your email client over POP.
- You cannot use Report SPAM button from another email application. In order to report an email as spam, first, move it to the email client’s spam folder and then delete it.
- You can not check the status of sent message like you can from AOL Mail interface
- You can not use AOL’s SMTP server to send out a mass email. AOL has limited 500 Emails a day or 100 connections a day to deter the spammers.
How to setup AOL SMTP Settings?
- Open your client configuration panel.
Now, enter the following details:
- AOL SMTP server name: smtp.aol.com
- AOL SMTP username: your AOL Mail Email address
- AOL SMTP password: your account password that you use to login into AOL Account
- AOL SMTP port: 465
- SMTP security: Start TLS
The above SMTP settings in the fields provided will allow you to send outgoing email through your AOL Mail account.
In order to receive AOL Mail, make the following changes:
- AOL Mail IMAP Server: imap.aol.com
- AOL Mail IMAP username: your AOL Mail Email address
- AOL Mail IMAP password: your account password that you use to login into AOL Account
- AOL Mail IMAP port: 993
- AOL Mail IMAP TLS/SSL Required: YES
Settings may be in a different location in each email client, though the AOL server and port settings will always be the same.